Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Simple Passion

The beginning of the novel is shocking because it just jumps right in to the vivid description of sex. There is no introduction or explanation. You wouldn't expect the novel to start out like this. I think the most interesting thing about the beginning is when she says, "something one could barely take in without dying has become as easy to watch as a handshake." People become desensitized to things. This reminded me of our own culture. 50 years ago the things we see on TV would have been unthinkable. It would have been improper to show a half naked woman on television. Now, we see it during prime time. Shows about violence and death are everywhere. We have become desensitized to dead bodies and sex. I think she believed that writing should stir these same emotions. It should make you think and push your comfort barriers. 


I think she definitely lives in the present. She doesn't think about the future, the only thing she thinks about is waiting for this man to call. "I had no future other than the telephone call fixing our next appointment. I would try to leave the house as little as possible except for professional reasons, (naturally he knew my working hours) forever fearing that he might call during my absence. I would also avoid using the vacuum cleaner or the hair dryer as they would have prevented me from hearing the sound of the telephone." Her entire life revolves around this man. She doesn't even live. She waits for him to call as if she is only living when he is around. "It would last only a few hours. I never wore my watch, removing it just before he arrived. He would keep his on and I dreaded the moment when he would glance at it discreetly." She completely lives in these temporary moments. She doesn't even want to be reminded of time so she removes her watch. Her association with temporality is ridiculous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment