Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Io Sono L'amore

I feel like Emma is struggling with her own sense of self. She was forced to forget her Russian childhood and identity when she married Tancredi. She became Italian. She had to change herself to be a Recchi wife. I think this shows her disconnect with everyone around her. The only person she mentions loving that she is Russian is Edo. Not even her husband. In order to fit in with this high society family, she had to become someone else, essentially. "When I moved to Milan, I stopped being Russian. There was too much of everything, in the street, in the shops... I learned to be Italian... He brought me to Milan and I haven't been back to Russia since." She also comments on how Tancredi had been in Russia in search of treasure. While she literally meant artworks, I think it can also be read that in a sense, Emma was a treasure. Tancredi went to Russia to find treasure, and came back with a wife- a status symbol. Their relationship is far from loving and nurturing. It is as if they are putting on a show, in order to live up to their lifestyle. She wears beautiful clothing, lives in a beautiful house, and has beautiful children but is she happy? That is clearly a no. It isn't until Antonio comes along and shows her how enjoyable life can be. He makes her feel free and allows her to be herself. She is no longer constricted by the rituals of high society. She looks back on her Russian roots with pride. I think Emma struggled with her sense of identity throughout the movie. In the end, when she disappears, she has finally taken her life back into her own hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment